Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Commander Review: Adriana, Captain of the Guard

OK, OK, I'll admit it: I'm a fool for Boros. Conspiracy has brought us another new commander to play with. Let's see how she stacks up against another Red/White commander and see if we can't find some strategies that play well with her at the helm.


Adriana is very similar to one of my all time favorite Boros legends Agrus Kos, and comparing the two would be really strait forward.


       

As you can see, both of these commanders are very similar at first. They cost the same and if attacking alone will be the same power and toughness.

Pros:
-Adriana has a scaling ability that is stronger the more players that are playing the game.
-Adriana makes an immediate impact on the board, while Agrus has to attack to grant the ability to others.
-Adriana doesn't care about color of the creatures in her deck.
-Adriana is 4/4 on defense.
-Adriana is a knight. Which opens a new tribe that had no commander, in these colors, prior.

Cons:
-Agrus has a larger buff in a one on one game.
-Agrus buffs your partners creatures in a two headed giant game.
-Agrus is a soldier, a more tested

It looks to me like Adriana is the better choice in most commander games. Agrus still holds his place as an excellent companion to Aurelia in two-headed giant games.

Strategies:
There are some keywords that have obvious synergy with Adriana.
Doublestrike- Adriana is an anthem effect all on her own. We know that double-strikers double dip with all anthem effects.
Shadow- Any evasion would be good for attacking safely to help pump the rest of the team.

Extra combat steps- any trigger that happens when something attacks will trigger multiple times with extra combat steps.

Conclusion:
Agrus Kos is one of my favorite commanders and Adriana has successfully replaced it in most decks I would play with him at the helm. Her ability to make use of white creatures and colorless creatures is a huge boon over Kos, Being able to spread out the attack among all my opponents will be a lot of fun. I think this commander is the commander I didn't know I was looking for to lead my legion.

No comments:

Post a Comment