Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Tiny No More (Converting Mardu Slivers)

A few months ago Tiny Leaders was the new fruit of the month. While it's a really fun as a simi-competitive format, the hype has died down, and finding a game is difficult.

One deck I created for this format is Mardu (RWB) Slivers. Commander is of course my playgroups main format to play, so I'm going to see if I can convert it and keep a similar feel.

Step 1: Identify the core elements I enjoy about the deck.

The deck: Mardu Slivers

-Highly aggressive  (fast)
This means I want to keep a high creature count and keep the curve as low as I can reasonably keep it.

-Good removal options
Mardu can remove any permanent type, has access to mass removal, and can even hit the hand.

-Light discard element
It came in the form of a sideboard in TL, but I want to make sure I can hit someone's hand if they hold back. I don't want this to be the focus of the deck though.

-Re-animator backup plan (recovers)
I'd like a few more cards than just the commander, but again not the focus of the deck.


Step 2: Identify changing needs in Commander compared to Tiny Leaders

-Attacking can leave me open to counter attacks from more people
To counter this, I'll put more focus on vigilance and entertain other ideas on preventing attacks.

-Trading one for one leaves us behind in commander.
I need to find ways to gain card advantage: more mass removal, X for 1's, and perhaps draw power.

-Different types of threats in Commander (namely: higher casting cost, bigger, and indestructible)
I will need to change out some format specific card choices.

Step 3: Get to building

-Creatures- This part is easy. Just pack the deck full of more slivers. There are really too many to name, and some are just filler, but here are some standouts:

Constricting Sliver- O-Ring on a sliver is worth the extra cost as well as the lack of synergy with our commander.

Essence Sliver- This effect is worth doubling up with Syphon Sliver. Note this doesn't actually give lifelink, but a triggered ability, so it really does double up.

Magma Sliver- This guy can really change the mode of the game.

Thorncaster Sliver- Another sliver that completely changes the dynamic of attacking.

Out of the list of 50 RWB slivers we are NOT utilizing these 7: Toxin Sliver, Vampiric Sliver, Spitting Sliver, Pulmonic Sliver, Poultice Sliver, Plague Sliver, and Battering Sliver. After adding our artifact sliver (Adaptive Automoton) and our Mirror Entity we have 44 sliver creatures and Hive Stirrings.

-Land- This is a bit more difficult. Need to go from 19 to 38 land and I've already picked most of the good ones. The smooth color fixing of the deck is one thing I really like. We also don't need mana rocks due to the low costs of the deck.

That being said, I think I can find room for 1-3 colorless lands...
Mutavault- Seems to be the obvious land for a deck this tribally inclined.
Vault of the Archangel- Is the first place my mind goes.
Mikokoro, Center of the Sea- The deck plays fast without a lot of draw power, so...

Then on to the color producers
Reflective pool- It won't get me any mana I don't have, but it will make things easier to cast
Temples- 3 of the cycle to let me scry in exchange for entering the battlefield tapped.
Lifegain- Another 3 of cycle for a little incremental life.
Foreboding Ruins- Cycle. Small chance of not entering the battlefield tapped works for me.
6 basics to round things out.

Spells. With 38 land and 45 slivers we have enough room for 16 other spells. I had 9 to start with, but quickly realized I need to scrap most of them. Removal that is good for one on one play isn't really all that great in a group setting. Also commander has such larger creatures, spells like lightning bolt wont do enough damage and smother will rarely have a good enough target to warrant its use. I need my removal spells to be versatile or create possible card advantage.

Anguished Unmaking- is a perfect remove nearly anything card. It should probably go in the tiny leaders version of the deck honestly.
Utter End- Similar card only not usable in TL.
Liliana of the Veil- one card I will definitely keep due to it's versatility.
Gideon Jura- This card addresses many issues in the deck, forcing an opponent into a bad attack and leaving themselves open to counter attacks, or just removing tapped creatures.
Nahiri, the Harbinger- a third planeswalker that serves as removal while being versatile.
Sever the Bloodline- exile 2 creatures (over time) with one card, hitting an army of tokens is a cool bonus.

Day of Judgement- This over wrath because I could possibly regenerate my creatures.
Blasphemous Act- This has some synergy with a few of our slivers
Austere Command- Versatile options.
All Is Dust- synergy with ghostflame sliver .... yeah, I went there...

Living Death- Great with a sac outlet, better if our opponents lack one.
Patriarch's Bidding- kinda obvious fun tribal powerhouse.
Twilight's Call- the last of the mass reanimator spells.

Identity Crisis- hand hate and GY hate in one. good to utilize prior to any mass reanimator
Rakdos's Return- hit someone's hand hard. damage is extra
Larceny- The best way to make sure our opponents aren't holding onto cards.

Other ideas that I ended up not going with.
5 color- honestly 5 color slivers is just done to death. focusing on RWB gives me limits and more flavor to the deck I think.

Changing commanders- Tariel was tempting, especially with hivestone (was in earlier). In the end I decided to stick with Alesha, but honestly she is just a backup plan.

Slivercycling- So, slivercycling is cycling. I've been looking for a way to get astral slide to work in commander. I don't think this is the place. It doesn't help that I don't like searching commander decks...

Hope you enjoyed the ride. Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment