Sunday, May 20, 2012

Legendary Review - Planechase 2012

Spoilers are starting to filter in for the new cards in the 2012 planechase product coming out soon. Here I will post my initial thoughts on the legends that appear in the set.

Spoiler warning:
 
  Maelstrom Wanderer           
Legendary Creature - Elemental

Creatures you control have haste.
Cascade, cascade.
7/5
Maelstrom Wanderer was the first one spoiled officially with the original announcement. There is a reason, this guy kicks some ass. To build around him I would just throw alot of expensive stuff and mana ramp into the deck and when I cascade hope for the best. You could also do some weird deck stacking stuff to combo out, but I think the randomness adds to the fun.


Krond the Dawn-Clad

Legendary Creature-Archon
Mythic Rare
Flying, vigilance
Whenever Krond the Dawn-Clad attacks, if it's enchanted, exile target permanent.
6/6
Krond goes the complete opposite way for me. A hard to cast 6 mana for a 6/6 flying vigilance guy is pretty unexciting. His ability is very build around me, and not all that exciting when we do. He has no built in self preservation. He could go in a Uril but I'm not sure that he actually adds anything. He is also an Archon, which is a pretty unimpressive tribe. I wouldn't run him as a commander anywhere.


Thromok the Insatiable

Legendary Creature-Hellion
Mythic Rare
Devour X, where X is the number of creatures devoured this way.
0/0
Here is another card that I find pretty interesting. I just wish he did something other than be big. Removing counters for any effect, having haste/trample, anything really. As is when this guy is played he should be huge. Devouring 6 tokens would make him a 36/36, 7 would make him 7 shotting full health Commander players.


Vela the Night-Clad

Legendary Creature-Human Wizard
Mythic Rare
Intimidate
Other creatures you control have intimidate.
Whenever Vela the Night-Clad or another creature you control leaves the battlefield, each opponent loses 1 life.
4/4
I'm at a loss as to what they were trying to do here... 6 mana for a 4/4 doesn't say aggressive to me, yet she gives your team an evasion ability. Intimidate is also weaker on a 2 color creature than a 1 color creature. Yet still, the text reads like a combo ability. She is supposedly here for the ninja deck, yet she is a wizard, a fairly overpopulated tribe already. I could see her going in my WUB blink deck, but I'm not sure how I would try to run her as a commander.

No comments:

Post a Comment