Tuesday, May 1, 2018

Building Braw- Hauti, Vona, & Locust God

I build decks for each player in my playgroup. Today, I'm going to share my experience of building decks for each player when the brawl format was released. This is a brief overview and link to 3 of the decks. All of which are pre-dominaria, so I may mention what cards from dominaria I would add if I'd built them today.


Each player in my playgroup has different tastes. Which made it interesting to build 3 completely different decks.

Mindy's Vampires

I'm going to start with my wife, as every husband should. Mindy's favorite deck of all time was the lorwyn standard green/white elves deck (mono green really). She loved how the creatures built upon each other and allowed her to grow an overwhelming board presence. Her second favorite was a vampire deck from zendikar standard, which was also a tribal deck that did the same thing. Her deck was pretty obvious to me, she needed Vampire Tribal. Here is the tapped out list: Vampire Tribal.

Elenda, the Dusk Rose Vona, Butcher of Magan

The deck was originally supposed to be led by Elenda, but her dies ability combined with commander rules makes her a little tricky and a choice that Mindy would not be happy making during a game. Luckily, Vona is a solid commander that halts aggressive decks pretty quickly. After playing vampires for a bit on Arena, I would probably add in more token generators as they are a good bit stronger than I gave them credit for when making this list. There are a total of 5 lord/anthem effects in this deck and 2 of them can be copied by mirage mirror.

There are a few standout cards for this deck from Dominaria.

Arvad the Cursed- While I dont think he quite makes me want to build around him or helm this deck, there are a few vampires in here that are legendary already and just being a solid 3/3 deathtouch/lifelink that pumps our commander +2/+2 would probably warrant a spot.

The Eldest Reborn- It takes some time, but it's a lot of value if not dealt with. I feel 5 mana to edict everyone has a place in brawl.

Yawgmoth's Vile Offering- Again, just tons of value and we shouldn't have trouble finding a legendary creature to play it.

Sara's Locust God

Sara's Magic tastes are a little more difficult to pin down. I think her favorite deck was dragonstorm. This deck used red and blue to control the board until her hand was crafted enough to play a big dragonstorm for the win. I felt the closest I could get to this was Locust God.

The Locust God Swarm Intelligence

The deck has a heavy reliance on using Instants/Sorceries to control the board so I put in a few cards that care about them. To go with Locust God there are many ways to draw cards and favorable winds as a cute anthem for your insects.

Dominaria cards:
The Mirari Conjecture- Bring back two cards then copy as many spells as I can play in a turn.

I may test the legendary spells as they are quite explosive, but if locust god is already out things are going well. Kind of win more type spells.

My Boros Dinos

As you know, Boros is my favorite color combination (although I've been playing more B/W lately). So, my first brawl deck had to be boros of course. Before building I heard that boros lacked card draw and ramp. Meh, I don't think that's too big of an issue in Brawl. Here is my Boros deck.

Huatli, Warrior Poet Huatli, Dinosaur Knight

I chose to have Huatli as my commander, because I'm not a fan of the other Boros brawl commander options. While I like Dino Knight, I went with Warrior Poet as the main commander for the ability to make another creature every turn. This means she can protect herself if needed. I may go through the deck and make some changes. I think Anointed Procession may warrant a spot due only to its synergy with the commander.

I honestly don't see much that I want to include from Dominaria. Most cards I want to look at were already out before. I like some of the solid early game Dinos, like Relentless Raptor, in my Arena deck and can probably cut some cute stuff that isn't worth the spot alone (Tilonalli's Skinshifter). There is too much focus on enrage in this deck and too little actual enrage card options (most of the best ones are green). Maybe I'll build a R/G Dino deck soon, or maybe all three colors. Who knows.


No comments:

Post a Comment