Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Izzet Vs Golgari deckbuilding. Part 1 Golgari

Sept 7th Izzet Vs Golgari duel deck comes out. I personally feel this may be the best Commander product to ever hit the shelves for prospective commander players. This product comes with 2 decks, both with an included legendary creature (first time ever hope this is a trend). Add 16 more basic lands and you only need 24 (plus 4 or 5 from the 2 ofs) more cards to customize the deck yourself. This is my plan: I will build these 2 decks following similar rules/ card ratios that were made to make the 60 card decks. First up is the later listed golgari because the commander is new, and has caught my interest.

Let me start by talking about the deck, what I like about it and how I want to build it up into a commander deck. Life from the Loam and cycle cards. This alone makes the box worth buying for me. While I originally said that I don't want to focus on this engine, they added it to the deck for me.

Now I'm somewhat worried that it will be another deck that rolls over to GY hate, to combat this I want to focus on the commanders other ability. That ability is to fling other creatures at all my opponents. This means I want to add some large beatsticks to the deck.

The deck also is very capable of removing creatures so I will make sure that I'm still able to do that by adding some removal. There is a nice mini theme of bringing creatures back that I will want to utilize while not going too far and getting blown out by GY hate. Also the deck feels very flavorful to the golgari, I want to be careful not to lose this flavor of life in death that they have going on. I'll do this by utilizing zombies and plants when available and avoiding cards that are bright in flavor.


Current rarities:
5 rares/mythic
20 uncommon
35 commons (18 basics 17other)

100 card conversion:
8 rare/mythic
33 uncommon
58 common (30 basic, 28 other)
1 card that can be any rarity (they all came out 1/3rd)

Lands: 24 current need 16 more.
+6 forests
+6 Swamps
-1 Golgari Rot Farm
+1 Cabal Pit- We have the ability to recur our lands. Being able to use these lands to kill creatures will be quite useful.
+1 Centaur Garden- in a similar vein sacing to give a creature +3/+3 to deal an extra 3 damage using Jarod's ability.
+1 Dread Statuary- The deck wants more creatures, lands that become creatures work perfect.
+ 1 Evolving Wilds +1 Terramorphic Expanse- mana fixing and deck thinning.

Creatures: 23 current, need 15 more.
+1 Abyssal Persecutor- I know I want to run this beatstick in this deck before even thinking about anyhing else. great beater and the commander can sac him for the win.
-1 Elves of Deep Shadow
-1 Golgari Rotwurm
+1 Blastoderm- I want some large undercosted creatures. He will be sac'd before he dies.
+1 Blood Artist- lots of creatures will be dieing, lets gain some life.
+1 Butcher of Malakir- gravepact in creature form. Should work well with alot of saccing.
+1 Canker Abomination- The likelihood of this being a 4 mana 6/6 seems high with all the wraths Ive seen.
+1 Chameleon Colossus- using the 3 rare/mythic spots is hard, there are so many to chose from. But I think when it comes to beatsticks this guy fits the bill every time.
+1 Deadwood Treefolk- great card advantage engine in this uncommon
+1 Devoted Druid- mana ramp, combo enabler.
+1 Quillspike- the other half of the combo, also plays well with persist.
+1 Ebony Treefolk- gets bonus points for being old school black/green.
+1 Falkenrath Noble- see blood artist.
+1 Fleshbag Marauder- one of my favorite black creatures. This reads like a sorcery that forces all opponents to sac a creature. then it can be brought back with reanimate spells.
+1 Llanowar Elves- making up for the loss of elves of deep shadow.
+1 Nezumi Graverobber (Nighteyes the Desecrator)- not bad for an uncommon. gy hate, then steal creatures from graveyards.
+1 Mold Shambler- a nice enter the battlefield ability
+1 Timberwatch Elf- tap him to give an extra little bit of life loss when sacrificing a creature.
+1 Riftsweeper - for my last creature I want something that will let me make use of my exiled creatures again (gy hate or utilizing scavenge)

Others: Have 13 need 9 more
- 1 Putrefy
+1 Fecundity- I plan to sacrifice alot of creatures, lets draw some cards with them.
+1 Phyrexian Reclamation- Possibly the best option of reusing creatures in the yard at this rarity.
 +1 Rancor- used as the wildcard spot, this lets my commander deal an extra 2 damage for each sacrificed guy, or just let some larger creatures trample over.
+1 Consume Strength- flavorful and can be used as a kill spell, combat trick, or just get an extra 2 damage in.
+1 Death Denied- lets me bring back a few creatures late game. saves against gy hate
+1 Grim Harvest- another repeated use way to reuse creatures.
+1 Relic Crush- I like my removal to be 2 for 1s
+1 Tainted Strike- I feel this is one of the most interesting combat tricks in multiplayer, always a fun card to draw.
+1 Undying Evil- saves a creature from removal, even if it's my removal
+1 Murder- Lets end with a simple removal spell.

By channel fireball prices, Butcher is $1, Abyssal persecutor is $5, chameleon colossus is $3.  So, the rares we've added to this deck cost about $10, I think the rest could be picked up for another $10. So for an investment of $40 (30 if you split the duel deck with a friend) we have a great start to a commander deck.

Once it comes out, I will start playing the deck and making small changes about once a week. I will try to spend under $10 a week. Any single card that I add that is more than 10 will be the only change I make that week. I be posting updates on this blog as I make changes.

Please give me some feedback. Let me know what cards you suggest adding as time goes on. Let me know what you think about this project or how I can improve anything.

1 comment:

  1. goood work! i really want to see the izzet version ^_^

    ReplyDelete